(1) Except or as otherwise herein expressly provided that all officials and representatives of the union shall be elected at the end of every one term of five years through a secret ballot in a general election, elections shall be done concurrently at all levels.
(2) Only such members of the Union being enrolled or registered nurses shall be eligible to contest offices and shall be committed to good governance and show proof of commitment to fighting corruption.
(3) Every national officer of the Union shall vacate his/her office after the expiry of five years, but shall be eligible for re-election. The Secretary General shall remain in office until such election is held and new officials take over.
(4) Applications for nominations for the National Governing Council or National Executive Council officials, Branch Officials and Institutional Representatives shall be submitted in writing to the National Election Board, pursuant to the election rules.
(5) No individual, official or a committee member of any other Union, Professional Societies or Associations shall put himself forward as a candidate for the nomination of the Union at the Institutional, Branch, or National unless he/she has resigned from that other position six months before the general election of the union.
(6) No individual, official or a committee member of any other Union/ professional societies / associations shall put himself forward as a candidate for the nomination of the Union at either the Institutional, Branch or National, if during his or her time as an official in those organizations failed to offer protection to members, He/she represented whether the member was a nurse or not, on prejudicial and all other forms of victimization.
(7) A notification shall show the name of prospective candidate, his/her age and his/her Trade Union Membership Card Number. It shall also show his/her nursing practice license number and position vying for and his/her experience in Trade Union Movement in the prescribed forms.
(8) Such notification shall be sent to the Union Headquarters three months before the national election and shall be accompanied by a fee of KSHs 20,000 for Branch, 30,000 for National position and 50,000 for Secretary General Position which shall not be refundable even if his/her application shall not be considered for the candidature by the National Executive Council, Institutional Committees pay no fee. He or She must have demonstrated and involved in union leadership for a period of not less than 5 years. Must be conversant with Employment and Labour Labour Relations Laws.
(9) At the same time as a prospective candidate sends his/her notification to Union National Headquarters, he shall send a signed copy thereof to the Branch in which he/she wishes to be considered for the nomination.
(10) All members aspiring to contest for national offices shall show prove of having worked in main stream health care delivery system for a period of not less than five years.
(11) All members intending to contest for a branch/ institutional offices shall show prone of having worked in main stream health care system for a period of not less than three years.
(12) Members shall have the freedom to run for three consecutive positions at institutional level, branch level and national level (one position at every level).
(13) Once elected at the National Office the official shall relinquish any other positions elected at branch or institution and the run up shall automatically take over that position. There shall be no bye elections in such circumstances.